Overall Numbers for Assistance

National Eldercare Locater Line: 1-800-677-1116,

This nationwide number is particularly beneficial if you are trying to help someone in another state. When you call the number they will ask for the zip code of the person whom you are trying to assist; they will then direct you to a “help line” that serves the area.

Senior Linkage Line (Minnesota only): 1-800-333-2433 and TTY 1-800- 627-3529,

By calling this toll free number you will be connected with a help line that serves your area. Information is available on all services and programs; Medicare, transportation, legal, financial assistance, caregiver support, chore and minor home repair, home health care, meal delivery and nutrition. You may have to leave a message, but they will return your call within 24 hours.

United Way: 2-1-1, Dial 211, or 651-291-0211, and

United Way 211 assists people of all ages find help and community based resources. Information is also available in most languages.   Minnesota’s most comprehensive online human services database.   Nationwide website were you can assess what resources you may be eligible for. 

 Other Help Lines

  • Catholic Charities: 651-222-3001,
  • Indian Family Services: 651-793-3803
  • Jewish Family Services: St. Paul 651-698-0767,
  • Jewish Family Services: Minneapolis 952-542-0161,
  • Lutheran Social Services: 612-879-5200,

County Human Service Agencies: These agencies are helpful in directing people to county programs.

  • Anoka: 763-422-7000 and  helpline for Anoka Co: 763-783-4707
  • Carver: 952-361-1600
  • Chisago: 651-213-5600
  • Dakota: 651-554-6000
  • Hennepin: 612-348-4500
  • Isanti: 763-689-1711
  • Ramsey: 651-266-4444
  • Scott: 952-445-7751
  • Sherburne: 763-765-4000
  • Washington: 651-430-6459
  • Wright: 763-682-7400

MN Office of Health Facilities Complaints: 1-800-369-7994  and TTY 651-215-8980

Helps people living in health care facilities enforce their legal rights. Complaints are investigated.

Ombudsman for Older Adults, Statewide Service: 651-431-2555 and 1-800-657-3591

Provides information about assisted living services, home care, and nursing homes. Assistance in choosing a nursing home. They also handle complaints about nursing homes and home health service providers. Brochures are available on a variety of topics: assisted living, home care, subsidies to pay for services and more.

Financial Assistance Programs

General Assistance, GA & Minnesota Supplemental Aid, MSA: Contact the Human Service Agency of your county.

Supplemental Security Income: 1-800-772-1213

Additional monthly income to eligible persons over age 65 or physically challenged.

Health Care and Insurance

Flu Clinics: Minnesota Visiting Nurse Agency, 612-617-4784, www.mvna 

Minnesota Visiting Nurse Agency, MVNA, provides flu clinics in senior housing, churches and worksites and other places conveniently located throughout the metro area October – December. MVNA is a nonprofit Homes Health Care Agency providing care for seniors in their homes. All proceeds are reinvested back into the Community. Call or visit their website for time and information on the clinics.

Health Care Choices: 1-800-333-2433 and online at

Annual publication available for Minnesotans on Medicare. Describes all available currnet plans.

Health Insurance Counseling Program: 1-800-333-2433.

Counseling to compare Medicare supplemental and long-term care insurance policies. Information on Medicare, Medical Assistance, health insurance, long term care insurance, and more. They also assist people filing appeals and claims.

Health Plan Information Center, HPIC: 1-800-333-2433.

Information on Medicare, Health Maintenance Organizations, Senior Partners Care, long-term care insurance, living wills and discount health services.

Medical Assistance, MA: Call your County Human Service Agency. 

Pays for medical expenses for those who are income eligible.

 Prescription Assistance Program: 1-800-333-2433

Drug manufacturers offer free or discounted drugs to those who could not otherwise afford their prescriptions. A specialist will help you to determine if you qualify. Not all drugs are available. Open to people of all ages.

Senior Partners Care, SPC: 1-800-333-2433 to find the program nearest you.

Health care program for seniors who are not eligible for Medical Assistance and cannot afford supplemental insurance. Monthly charges, premiums, co-payments and deductibles are waived.

Hearing and Vision

MN Telephone Equipment Distribution, TED Program: 1-800-657-3663 and TTY 1-888-206-3663,

The TED Program provides free amplified telephones, telephone ring signalers, speaker phones, deaf blind equipment and other equipment for those who have hearing loss, speech and/or physical disability. Income guidelines. Free brochure.

State Services for the Blind:1-800-652-9000.

Low vision services for persons 55 and older. Free aids and devices provided, such as magnifiers and talking watches. Training to help people adjust to decreasing vision. Audio reading material available. Seniors are eligible for services if they have difficulty with regular tasks, such as reading, despite corrective lenses.

Vision Loss Resources: 612-871-222,

Assessments, individual teaching, classes, volunteers and support groups.

Housing for Older Adults

Twin Cities Senior Housing Guide and Resources: 651-690-3141,

Annual publication (170 pages) listing all senior housing in the 11 county metro area. Free at senior centers and libraries. To have one sent to you send $6 to Guide, 1474 Sargent Ave., St. Paul, MN 55105. Housing is listed by type and by county. Types listed in Guide are:  Ownership (condos, cooperatives and townhomes) and rentals, independent living to assisted living, and market rate to subsidized housing. Costs, pet policy, building amenities, services and more are all listed in a grid form. Guide is user friendly and was voted “best source of information for seniors”.

Legal Information – Know Your Rights

Adult Protective Services: for referrals 1-800-333-2433

This program protects vulnerable adults from neglect, abuse or exploitation. There is a formal investigation and follow-up.

Guardianships/Conservatorships: for referrals 1-800-333-2433

When a person is no longer able to manage property and financial matters, the court appoints someone to act in the person’s behalf. The person can be a family member, friend, or a professional conservator.

Legal and Paralegal Service: 612-334-5970

Provides legal advice and referrals for people who are income eligible. They also legally represent persons in cases where Medicare has been denied.